Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Star Ranch


Its been awhile since I have posted but I have had some pretty big changes in my professional life that should lead more frequent posting...More on that later. Lets talk about two phenomenal wines from Central California.

Star Ranch Viogner
Paso Robles, 2010

Nose: Pineapple, Citrus, and call me crazy but schoolyard gravel! I swear it smells just like the fresh gravel they used at the playground of my elementary school.

Palette: Bright. Sassy. Crispy acids with a tart almost crab apple finish.

From here on out I will be rating all the wines a post with a simple rating system...1 being rot gut terrible never drink again and 5 meaning I will be officially retiring from the wine business as there is nothing else to taste. This Viogner finished with a solid 3.5

Star Ranch Supernova (80% Syrah 20% Granache)
Paso Robles 2008

Nose: Rich and Dark. Balanced and elusive. The aromas evolve as the wine warms to room temperature. From being heady and alcoholic at the first waft to its current bouquet of ripe blueberries and bitter cocoa. This wine will grow and mature before your eyes (or nose) if you take your time with it.

Palette: By no means a disappointment it however does not quite live up to the promises of the nose. Decent tannins give structure to light playful cherry with a long rustic finish.

This Rhone blend is right up my ally so no surprise I give it a 4.0 rating.

These are both exclusively available at Unwined on 36th and Old Sewerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment