Friday, October 28, 2011

My Blender



Hello again, fellow hedonists. It has been a busy couple weeks since my last post, but I have something special to share. I have been trying many wines in my new position as Sommelier for the UnWINEd boutique wine shop and the two I review tonight are some unique highlights. Without further adieu ...

Steinbeck "The Crash" 2007
62% Cabernet Sauvignon / 18% Zinfandel
14% Petite Sirah / 6% Viognier


Notes:
An unorthodox blend for certain, I like to think of this as a traditional California Cab in designer jeans and sport coat. Its dressed up for a night out. The Viognier adds a touch of perfume that works like a brightly colored pocket square. The nose is all soft cedar box and cassis with nice cherry undercurrents. The palette is ... sophisticated. Silky tannins prop up the aforementioned cherry flavors. Mid-palette is concentrated berries and the finish is lengthy. A stunning 4.5.

Midnight Cellars 2007 Capriccio Italien
40% Sangiovese, 40% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon
Notes:
A Super-Tuscan Blend from California. Big on the nose; Strong aromas of tobacco, leather and dried blueberry. This wine is not for the faint of heart. I like to think of it as an aging bachelors apartment. Dark and woody. On the tongue this wine opens up to vibrant tart cherry and smooth vanilla on the finish. Very solid selection: 4.0

No comments:

Post a Comment